Library Media Center
Welcome to Goodwin Library
“The Mission of West Aurora District 129 Library Media Centers is to empower students and staff to acquire the necessary skills to locate, evaluate, select, access and use information, ideas, and technology creatively and critically.”
- LMC Policies
- Quick Links
- Digital Library
- First Grade
- Second Grade
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
NUMBER Of book checkouts:
- Kindergarten & First Grade - 2 books (eventually 3 books)
- Second through Fifth Grade - 3 books
- Kindergarten & First Grade - Books are due 1 week after checkout
- Second through Fifth Grade - Books are due 2 weeks after checkout
- One week - Three weeks overdue - Overdue notices will be sent home each week. Student can still check out up to the number of books per grade level.
- Four or more weeks overdue - A phone call will be made home from the School Library Information Specialist. After the phone call, students can still check out up to the number of books per grade level.
LOST OR DAMAGED BOOKS:
- If you think your child returned a book, please have your child ask us to double check. If we still can't find it, then they need to keep looking at home and at school.
- If you receive a notice for a lost or damaged book, please pay for the book as soon as possible, so that your child can continue to check out books.
- If a lost book is found and returned, you will receive a refund.
- If the same student loses or damages more than 3 books in a year, a conference with the student, School Library Information Specialist, building principal, classroom teacher, and parent will take place to come to an effective solution.
Ebooks are Here!
Before you access the SD129 OverDrive ebook site and download ebook content, you will need to have an email address, and you will need to have access to a computer and web browser (to read titles online), or you will need a smartphone, tablet, or other device that can download free reading apps.
All of the software is FREE! However, what software you need depends upon which formats you want to access. You can find videos showing you how to search for books and how to set up your device on the OverDrive Help site at http://help.overdrive.com/#videos.
Logging in to OverDrive from a computer/browser:
Access the SD129 OverDrive site by going to http://sd129.lib.overdrive.com/. You can also get there by clicking the “Open” button on a title in the Destiny library catalog that is marked [EBOOK] or [EAUDIOBOOK].
- Library Card Number: enter your Student ID #
- PIN: enter your Lastname
- Use one uppercase letter followed by lowercase letters [example: Hahn]
- Enter the entire last name as it appears on your Student ID card
- Include any additions to your last name as they appear on your Student ID card [examples: Washington Jr or Spencer III or Castro Ruiz or Flores-Rios]
Logging in to OverDrive on a smartphone or other mobile device:
1. Install the OverDrive Media Console App [see below]
2. From the menu, choose Get Books
3. Add a Library
4. Search for West Aurora
5. Tap on the star to add our district!
Required Software and Required Ebook Accounts:
- If you want to listen to eaudiobooks, or if you want to read titles on a smartphone/mobile device, you will probably want to visit the OverDrive Media Console site at http://omc.overdrive.com/ and download the app for your device.
- Some ebook titles are in OverDrive Read format. These titles can be read using a browser on a laptop or desktop computer (and on some tablets/phones), and do not require any additional software.
- If you want to read Kindle format ebooks, you will need to visit the Kindle site at http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp. You will need to set up a free Kindle Account before you can download and access Kindle format titles. The Kindle site is also where you can get software to read Kindle titles in a browser, on a laptop/desktop, on a smartphone, or on a tablet.
- If you want to read EPUB format books, you will need to visit the Adobe Digital Editions site at http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html. You will need to set up a free Adobe ID Account before you can download and access EPUB format titles. The Adobe Digital Editions site is also where you can get software to read EPUB titles on a laptop/desktop, on a smartphone, on a tablet, or on an ereader like a Nook.
Sea World Animal Bytes
San Diego Zoo Animal Finder
National Geographic Kids - Animal Facts
Defenders of Wildlife - Animal Facts
Switch Zoo Animal Facts
Wild Kratts - Creaturepedia
Animal Fact Guide
Soft Schools - Animal Facts
Smithsonian's National Zoo - Meet the Animals
Science Kids - Animals